Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Obermeyer Workshop



I spent three wonderful days in Laguna at a workshop with Michael Obermeyer. I did several paintings, each one a new piece of learning for me. This study and the next one were done from Heisler Park. Here I believe the view is to the north. While many of the artists faced south, and therefore had the morning sun in their eyes, I looked this way to be able to capture the morning light without so much glare. I learned that even though I could see this point of land clearly in my mind's eye, I need to lower the values on the distant shapes. The ocean in the foreground was not my focal point, so I left it blurred. Actually, I should have increased the value even if I did not increase the details. I did start to render that rock more carefully, but it was a challenge. The light and the tide changes quickly!




I moved to a new location and faced south. I tried to get the values more accurate on this one, keeping the foreground deeper and fading in the distance. Michael showed me how to populate the hillsides with the rows of houses. It does not show clearly enough, but I also learned to use the color of the reflected sky in the ocean. I know I don't have the balance quite right yet, as it looks like a rather abrupt change. But time is always the challenge.

One fun part of this day, of course, was working with other plein air artists trying to improve our skills. It was a large group of 16 people, so Michael was going as fast as he could to get around to all the different groups and settings. The other artists near me gave really helpful tips and feedback. I think my comments helped them also. It was a very congenial group.

We went to the field across from Michael's studio the next day. Simplify, simplify, simplify! I took more time on this painting. I actually rubbed out whole sections and repainted them as I realized more fully what I wanted to do. How liberating was that! In all of my paintings Michael and others commented with praise on my brush strokes and bold color. So I guess I have some strengths to build on:)!


As I look at these studies, I may spend some extra time on each one and see if I can improve them without losing the freshness of being there en plein aire.



No comments:

Post a Comment