Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Portrait



This was our model in our last art class, dramatically lit with green on the right and red on the left. The challenge was to "push" the color while trying to reveal something about the real color of the object underneath. Impossible, which made it kind of liberating!
So the picture above is how I got started. I was pleased that it at least looked somewhat like the guy I was looking at! I didn't get much farther than this in class. I kept working on it once I got home - hard to not have the model still in front of me, but some of the changes were obvious. I softened the planes of the forehead and finally found the shadow side of his nose.



My big accomplishment for the day, besides painting, was to create "wet panel carriers". My homework is still wet as I go to class, and my classwork is wet when I come home. And we have so many sizes for our canvas panels! So off I go to bite the bullet and buy a bunch of carriers at the art store. They had just finished setting out a new shipment of panels, and there were the empty boxes for each size. Hooray!
 I put strips of foamcore on the insides for supports. I found tote bags to fit each size. In the photo I am still looking for those last two sizes, but I did find them.

I am doing my big Homework Review in class this week. I have to bring everything I have done. So it's even more helpful that I will be able to carry all the wet paint to and fro. Here is my most recent homework.
Too much blue background, but the dishes came out okay. I am supposed to have close to 30 completed paintings. I'm almost there. Back to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment