Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sante Fe Dam

I did most of this painting plein air at the Sante Fe Dam. I am really enjoying the practice and discipline of getting outside each week. At home I struggled trying to get it to look the way I wanted. I finally realized that the red roof on the building was the problem. I changed it to this color scheme and I like it much better.

Here it is with the red roof. Which do you prefer?


 I think Edgar Payne would call this a steelyard composition. There are the two strong verticals created by the two pines in back and the yellow bush in front. These are connected and balanced by the horizontal of the little pier. If you are an artist, maybe you can give me more guidance on this. I think the composition of plein air paintings makes all the difference between a successful piece and a "nice try."

What you can't see is the amazing sound of the laughing ducks and geese that were wandering all over the lawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment