Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Verdugo Adobe

My next adventure was to the Verdugo Adobe. We had several fun field trips here, walking from school and spending time at Verdugo Park on the way. My memory was of a peaceful, wooded park. That is true, but it was really challenging to find a decent view of the Adobe. The trees are in the way from all sides, and there is a strange block wall, built in recent times, that blocks what view there may have been.

I decided to try to capture the comfort of the shady porch, with the bright sunshine showing through at the end. Again, the lighting was very tricky. I saw a plein air picture online of a scene of the bight sunny ocean, looking out from inside a dark cave. That was the feeling I had here. Looking into the light from inside a cave! I'm not sure why I couldn't make the floor flat. The whole building is at odd angles, sagging and warping. The floor was worn and wobbly, but not as much as it seems in my painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment