Monday, February 24, 2014

En Plein Aire

Here are some recent paintings I did with the Thursday painters. The first one is the bridge at York Street over the Arroyo Seco beside the stables. I was almost done when I heard that we could go into the stables to look around. The barn there was built in 1906!  There were a number of really interesting horses - unique breeds: a polo pony, a huge draft horse,  a smaller horse with a what looked like a huge head head of hair,  an ancient mule. I grabbed another panel and quickly sketched part of the barn in the time we had left. I took a number of pictures so maybe I will go back or work more on images from this site.

 

Another site where we painted was Deukmejian Park way up in La Crescenta. It was an interesting day, cool but warming up quickly as the morning went on. I was glad I could shift my gear into a backpack and head away from the parking lot without dragging my cart. This is another place where I would love to paint again. I chose a view looking up the trail towards an old oak. It would be fun to hike farther up, and paint the same area looking down towards the valley. We still have winter shrubbery on the hills. I don't know if Spring will bring many wildflowers since we haven't had any rain.

I didn't have a camera or my phone so no pictures to work from. I love the support of being with the paint-out group. With no phone, I wasn't worried at all about being out of touch or on my own. There were other painters all over the park nearby.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment